Many of the better methods for hanging a wreath on a storm door are the same as those you’d use to hang a wreath on a more substantial door. However, because storm doors are more lightweight and fragile, common options like an over-the-door hanger or a simple nail are not advisable. Instead, hooks that rely on suction cups, magnets, or removable adhesive strips are usually the best bets.
1. Using a Suction Cup Hook
Buy a suction cup hook with a sufficient weight rating. Clear, flexible suction cups with metal hooks attached are easy to find online or at many home goods retailers. Before buying, though, check the packaging for a maximum recommended hanging weight.
If you have a very lightweight wreath—one made primarily of plastic or fabric, for instance—any decent suction cup hook will probably do.
For bigger wreaths, though, weigh them before suction cup shopping. Stand on a scale holding the wreath, and then without the wreath, and subtract the difference to get the wreath’s weight.
2. Mark your hanging spot, but on the inside of the door’s glass. Use a tape measure to find the center of the door (widthwise) and the desired height for your hanger, or just hold the wreath up until it looks just right. Stick a piece of tape on the inside of the glass right where you want to place the suction cup on the outside of the glass.
If you’re applying the suction cup to a metal part of the door, clean the area thoroughly first, then make a tiny dot with colored chalk where you want to put the hook.
3. Clean the outside of the storm door’s glass. Use a typical household window cleaner to remove dirt, grime, etc. Once this dries, apply some rubbing alcohol to a clean rag and wipe over the general area where the suction cup will go.
The rubbing alcohol will evaporate from the glass surface quickly.
4. Moisten the inside of the suction cup. Rinse the suction cup under warm water to wash away any dust or residue. Then, shake the suction cup fairly vigorously so that it is only slightly damp.
Using warm water will also make the suction cup a bit more flexible.
5. Stick the suction cup to the glass without the wreath for 24 hours. Press the suction cup onto the storm door firmly—try to squeeze out all air bubbles between the suction cup and the glass. Once it’s in place, leave the suction cup alone for a day before hanging the wreath. This delay will allow the light moisture to dry and create the best possible seal (and holding power).
If you miss your mark and have to relocate the suction cup, go back over the window with rubbing alcohol and make sure the cup is still slightly moistened.
6. Check the suction cup every day or two after you hang the wreath. Make sure the cup isn’t sliding down the door or pulling away from the glass. If it is moving or coming loose, repeat the cleaning and sticking process again, and don’t hang the wreath for 24 hours.
If the suction cup fails again, you probably need either a stronger suction cup or a smaller wreath. Or, you may need to try another hanging method.
Rectangular Ceiling Magnets with External Thread, Plastic Body, Black, Rectangle Exterior Thread Fixing Magnetic System, Compound Magnets, Fixing Pot Magnets Rectangular Ceiling Magnets – Execution: with square plastic body, external thread, black Part No.: HSCM-300.011 Size (LxW): 58 X 58 mm Total height (magnet and thread): 42 mm Execution: Threaded end M6 Magnetic force: 30 Kg Color: black Ceramic Square Magnets […]
Black Laminated Sandwich Magnet, Ceiling Magnets Square with Suspension Eye, Laminated Magnets, Rectangular Sandwich Magnets with Hanging Eye / Eyelet Sandwich Magnet Execution: with suspension eye, plastic body, Black laminated Part No.: HSCM-300.011/B Size (LxW): 58 X 58 mm Execution: Suspension eye Magnetic force: 30 Kg Color: black Black Plastic Ceiling Magnets, Mouting Magnetic Systems The black laminated magnets are […]
Ceiling Magnets Square with Suspension Eye, Sandwich Magnets, Laminated Magnets, Rectangular Ceiling Magnets with Open Eyeblot or Eyelet Ceiling Magnets Square – Execution: with suspension eye, plastic body, white laminated Part No.: HSCM-300.011/W Size (LxW): 58 X 58 mm Execution: Suspension eye Magnetic force: 30 Kg Color: white White Plastic Ceiling Magnets, Mouting Magnetic Systems The laminated magnets are made […]
Ceiling Magnets Rectangular with Open Hook, White Plastic Casing, Rectangle Ceiling Magnet, Rectangular Magnetic Hooks Ceramic Block Ceiling Magnets Execution: with hook, plastic body, white laminated The plastic ceiling magnet from HS Magnetech are made of white plastic and fitted with a hanging hook. Order the desired ceiling magnets. The plastic magnet are made of white plastic and fitted […]